10/22/07

California Fire

For the third time since I began this blog, I'm writing about dear friends who are being threatened by fire. Earlier this spring, I wrote about the devastating fire that destroyed my hometown's lovely old buildings. On July 4, a fire destroyed the company (Trussway) that my dear Henry worked for. And today I received an e-mail from my friend, Reverend Danny Hyde, pastor of Oceanside United Reformed Church in Oceanside, California, telling me that the out-of-control fires there are threatening the homes of his parishioners and Westminster Seminary in Escondido.

This evening Pastor Hyde sent me an update: He now has two evacuated families staying in his home, and Westminster Seminary has been closed for the week. In fact, fires are burning only a few miles from the campus.

Pray for Reverend Hyde and his congregation and for Westminster Seminary, its faculty and students. While these fires rage, seemingly out of control, it is comforting to know that we have a God who never loses control. "Thy Keeper slumbereth not, nor shall He cause thy foot to fail, when danger doth assail. Lo, He that keepeth Israel doth neither sleep nor slumber, naught shall thy soul encumber" (Psalter Hymnal, Psalm 121).

5 comments:

Jewels said...

Annette - Naught shall thy soul encumber. Why don't we still talk like this?

I was going to ask you about Sat. but I realized we have the last cross country meet. How about the next? Oh wait, it's my birthday - but I think we did that once before didn't we?

Annette Gysen said...

We still do sing like this in our church :).

Anyhow--most of my Saturday mornings are usually free, but that Saturday is J's birthday too, as you may recall. And the second Saturday of November, I'm out. Why don't you e-mail me a list of available Saturdays through the end of the year, and I'll compare it against mine . . . Or we could try some evening sometime. Or maybe someday when we're in the Holland Home together, you can come over for coffee after church on Sunday morning. . .

Jewels said...

Encumber not thy soul. If Edward runneth late on Saturday, perhaps we shall meet then early to breaketh the fast. Or naught. Fear not, there will come a time. Understandeth thou me?

Annette Gysen said...

I will not fear for God hath willed. Verily, I understandeth thee.

Jewels said...

Annette! The word from Edward is he runs at 4pm so we can meet at Panerra in the morning if you want. He thinks so anyway. We'll be in touch.