9/15/08

All the Days

You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well . . . All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. ~Psalm 139:13, 16

One of the issues that has come to the forefront since Sarah Palin's nomination is the huge percentage of Down syndrome children that are aborted. I read today the heartbreaking statistic that 90 percent are aborted. Of course Baby Trig Palin has shown the world how beautiful he is and how much his family--and all of us--would have missed had his parents made that awful choice.

But before Trig, I knew how beautiful Down syndrome children are because of Gavin. He was born with Down syndrome and serious heart defects. Since birth, he has had five surgeries, numerous hospitalizations for months at a time, and a stroke that has made his future development a big question mark for his family. His parents did not know before he was born that Gavin had Down syndrome, and I know that they are faithful Christians who would never have considered ending Gavin's life, but they have galliantly risen to this surprising challenge and cared for and loved him with faith in and thankfulness to God. They see Gavin as a blessing, in spite of the difficulties they have all faced in his little life.

Our church family has cheered as Gavin first simply lived. And from there we have rejoiced as the seizures that once frequently troubled him have stopped. He hasn't been hospitalized in nearly a year. And he has learned to smile. What a gift from God!

Gavin is two today, a birthday celebration his family hasn't always known they would be able to celebrate. So celebrate life; the unique way God creates each one of us; the ways He uses to teach us gratitude and love for one another; brave parents like Gavin's mom and dad and the Palins, who hold tightly to their little ones with one hand while clinging to God with the other; and celebrate Gavin and his smiles and the way God shows us His strength in our weakness. Happy birthday, Gavin!

And if you want to see just how cute Gavin is, and just how much progress he has made, check out his mom's photo show here.

4 comments:

Penny Green said...

Happy Birthday to Gavin and thank you to all your church who have supported his family through such difficult times.

Penny Green
Down's Heart Group
www.dhg.org.uk

Unknown said...

The Lord has blessed children with Downs with enormous reserves of joy....what a nice tribute.

The VW's said...

Awww! Thank you Annette! You have been such a support to us and we are very thankful for you!

It really saddens me to know the statistics that you mentioned! What a loss for those families! I wouldn't change having had Gavin for anything! God has shown us so much through having him!

Thanks again! Our family loves you! Say Hi to your family for us! We miss you!

Love, Alicia

Tuirgin said...

Hello, Annette. This is your cousin, Christopher. I just thought to say hello after finding out about your blog from my dad. I'm so far out of the loop of our family -- I'm interested to hear what everyone else is up to.

Congratulations on your marriage! I hope all is well with you.

Christopher
email: christopher@tuirgin.com
web: Tuirgin.com