12/29/08

Christmas Past



Since Christmas is past, it seemed only right to re-visit a Christmas that is really, really past. This picture was taken probably about thirty-five Christmases ago, and it was clearly one of those last-minute, let's-get-a-shot-of-the-kids-quick-so-we-can-get-the-Christmas-cards-out Kodak moments. I'm thinking this was an impulse thing, because nobody who planned to take a picture for a Christmas card would have intentionally dressed us like this. Pictured here are, from left to right, myself at about 9, my younger sister Kristi (2), and my brother Tim (6).

Some observations:

1. The card, ironically, says "Greetings from our home to yours." This was not our home. We spent a lot of time here, and we loved being here--but this is Grandma Walborn's house. So now I'm wondering how many people who received this either thought it was our house or, if they recognized the setting, just thought--for some reason--we were living with my grandparents.

2. The piece of furniture we are sitting on is not a couch and it is not a sofa. It is a davenport. I really don't know how a davenport is different from a couch or sofa, but in all my life I don't remember Grandma saying the word "couch" or "sofa." This was a davenport.

3. Those drapes behind the davenport made a great hiding place in a pinch--when the person who was "it" was getting close to the designated number and you hadn't been able to think of someplace more creative.

4. Based on my outfit, you might think that I attended an all-girls' Catholic grade school, but this was my Bluebirds uniform, and the Bluebirds uniform was something we took very seriously. Bluebirds, of course, was the precursor to Campfire Girls. Other thoughts on my ensemble: You know--if you had glasses--yours looked just about like mine, so don't laugh. I've pretty much always been a short-hair girl; this is about the longest my hair has ever been. And this is my natural color, of course.

5. I really wish I could remember what we were having such a good time looking at. We three normally didn't get along that well, particularly if we were made to sit together in one place, so I'm sure we're not reflecting the joy of sibling togetherness here.

6. Why did the photographer not tell my brother to put his arms down for the shot?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Annette! So many things in my head looking at this picture....The glasses were first and foremost. My mom had those. Lots of pictures of her holding me wearing those. AND my grandparents also had a davenport...perhaps it's that firm cushion thing that never actually stops being square? One could not 'sink in' my grandparents' davenport.

Ahhhh...what a great photo to have. How fun!

Judy G said...

Reminds me of my Christmases Past, too! I had those funky glasses--usually blue or brown. My brother wore the same stripped shirt! Usually, I was the crabby one in pictures. Who could have guessed back then how much I love cameras now!

The VW's said...

Thanks for the laugh and the memory! My grandparents always said davenport as well! I never really understood why, but thinking about it now makes me smile!