4/23/09

The Witness of the Prophets

This week I've been working on one of those obligatory reads--a biography for my book group. Let's just say that it's not my favorite, so I've nothing to share with you from it.

However, I've continued my goal of reading Calvin's Institutes in a year (I fell behind a few days during spring break), and I have to say that for me, to read him is to love him even more. I'm working on book 2, chapter 10, where Calvin writes about the doctrine of the covenant in the Old Testament. In this section, he explains how God gradually revealed, from Adam's day to Malachi's, at the end of the Old Testament, the salvation that would be fully revealed in Jesus Christ. I love the poetic, descriptive language he uses here:

"Accordingly, at the beginning when the first promise of salvation was given to Adam [Gen. 3:15} it glowed like a feeble spark. Then, as it was added to, the light grew in fullness, breaking forth increasingly and shedding its radiance more widely. At last--when all the clouds were dispersed--Christ--the Sun of Righteousness, fully illumined the whole earth [cf. Mal., ch. 4]." ~Institutes, book 2, chapter 10, section 20

"But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings" (Malachi 4:2).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing to say about the obligatory read? Nothing?!?

Annette Gysen said...

I'll have plenty to say about the obligatory read on Thursday :). Just didn't want to clutter the blogosphere with it.