11/4/10

Jonathan 1-2-3

Interesting fact about Jonathan: he was born at 1:23 am on November 3, 1993, which makes him seventeen years old yesterday. Is Jonathan as easy as 1-2-3? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. When we go to parent-teacher conferences and we hear things like this: (1) Jonathan is a great Christian kid, (2)Jonathan will be a great success someday, (3) Jonathan is a joy to have in class, we think yes, he is as easy as 1-2-3. When he needs new clothes and I ask him if he wants to come with me to the mall to pick them out, he tells me to just get what I think is good--and that is pretty easy. If the Republicans, Red Wings, or Tigers win, he's happy; if they don't, he's not. Easy. On his pizza--pepperoni only. It doesn't get much easier than that.

But when you hear Jonathan talk apologetics or politics, you know there's more to him than a simple 1-2-3. When he's listening to a sermon in church or answering questions during family devotions and I wonder how he could ever have possibly known that answer, I realize that there's more than 1, 2, and 3 multiplied many times over there.

There are a few other ways that Jonathan isn't as easy as 1-2-3 at times, but I won't mention them here. I'm just very thankful that on November 3, 1993, Jonathan was born at 1:23 am. Happy birthday!