2/1/12

Five

Blogger (on left) at five






Dear Blog,

Please forgive me for forgetting your fifth birthday last week. Five is important--all the fingers on one hand; the beginning of school (in the olden days of my childhood); learning how to read and ride a bike; naturally blonde hair achieved without treatment (see picture on the right); and super cool matching outfits with younger brothers.

And so it's nearly unforgivable that I missed your special day. You've seen me through so much--raising teenagers to nearly adults (but not there yet), dating, getting married, a new job, a new home. And you've given me a platform for important issues such as bad hymns, leggings, the difficulty of buying wedding stamps, blizzards, my aversion to Facebook and The Shack, and other vital matters affecting our world today.

Anyway, it has been a good five years, an eventful five years. And if I don't take you out nearly so often as  I once did, it's because I value you too much to waste just any thoughts on you--not that I used to waste thoughts on you.

But you and I both know that's a bunch of nonsense. The truth is, five years ago I spent most evenings alone and decided you were a better use of my time than watching American Idol or Lost. Now that I'm married, though I've found an even better companion than you--and even more entertaining than TV.
And yet I still do love you.

So happy fifth birthday, blog. Here's to many more!

No comments: