4/17/08

Movie Fun

I was researching award-winning blogs today and ran across this idea. Below are fifteen of my favorite lines, many of them from my favorite movies. Guess which movies they come from (without googling the lines or reading others' comments), answer in the comments, and the person who gets the most correct will win a prize (so I really hope it's someone local that I see often): a complimentary copy of both the Better Than Life book and CD, which has absolutely nothing to do with movies. Winner will be determined one week from today.

1. After all... I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

2. Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together... and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home... only to no home I'd ever known... I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic.

3. When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does.

4. That's more than a dress. That's an Audrey Hepburn movie.

5. I will have poetry in my life. And adventure. And love. Love above all. No... not the artful postures of love, not playful and poetical games of love for the amusement of an evening, but love that... over-throws life. Unbiddable, ungovernable - like a riot in the heart, and nothing to be done, come ruin or rapture. Love - like there has never been in a play.

6. The Claw is our master. It decides who will go and who will stay.

7. We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns, and syrup.

8. Mama, I don't know why you have to make everything so difficult. I look at having a baby as the opportunity of a lifetime. Sure there may be risk involved, but that's true for anybody. But you get through it and life goes on. And when it's all said and done there will be a little piece of immortality with Jackson's good looks and my sense of style, I hope. Please, please I need your support. I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.

9. Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends.

10. Po-tay-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew... Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.

11. Ahhh, Isn't this amazing / It's my favorite part because, you see / Here's where she meets Prince Charming / But she won't discover that it's him / Till chapter three.

12. I could more easily forgive his vanity had he not wounded mine.

13. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

14. Q. So what happens after he climbs up and rescues her?
A. She rescues him right back.

15. In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies.

Have fun! Are you surprised at some of my favorite movies?
________________________________________

10 comments:

Jewels said...

Annette - I'm not at all surprised b/c I know you are a romantic deep down. I loved these quotes, but the only one I recognize on a quick skim through is #9 - It's a Wonderful Life!

Annette Gysen said...

And I'll comment on the rightness or wrongness next week! You should put one of these on your blog. I can tell you where to find the quotes if you don't know. And yes--there is a high number of chick flicks represented here!

The VW's said...

A couple sound familiar, but the only one that I know is #14, Pretty Woman. Fun Idea!

Melissa said...

Is #1 from The Holiday?
What about #6 ~ from Toy Story?
And #7 is from Elf, right?
Is #8 from Steel Magnolias?
#11 has to be from Little Mermaid...
#15 is from Horton Hears a Who, I think...

fun thing to do!

Annette Gysen said...

Alicia--Good job!

Melissa--Most of yours are right! You're definitely in the lead! That's going to be a great prize for you :).

Annette Gysen said...

I'm responding for Katie. 5-Shakespeare in Love; 6--Toy Story; 7--Elf; 8--Steel Magnolias; 9--It's a Wonderful Life; 10--Lord of the Rings/Two Towers; 11--Beauty and the Beast; 12--Pride and Prejudice; 13--When Harry Met Sally; 14--Pretty Woman; 15--Horton Hears a Who. Did I mention that family members are not eligible?

allofgrace said...

1. Jerry McGuire
7. Elf
8. Steel Magnolias
9. It's a Wonderful Life
12. Princess Bride
13. When Harry Met Sally
14. Pretty Woman

a couple of these are just guesses ;)

Annette Gysen said...

You got 5 correct, Jimmy!

Julie said...

#1 Notting Hill (JRoberts)
#2 Sleepless in Seattle (Tom Hanks)
#3 You've Got Mail (Meg Ryan)
#4 Jerry Maguire
#5 Shakespeare In Love
#6 ?Liar, Liar
#7 ?
#8 Steel Magnolias(JRoberts)
#9 It's A Wonderful Life
#10 ?
#11 Beauty and The Beast
#12 Pride and Prejudice
#13 When Harry Met Sally (BCrystal)
#14 Pretty Woman(Gere/Roberts)
#15 ?

Annette Gysen said...

Excellent, Julie! You are the winner so far!