4/28/08

PCRT 2008


Two weekends ago (April 18-20), I had the opportunity to attend my second Philadelphia Conference on Reformed Theology. I had such an amazing experience last year, and I went into this thinking that it would probably be a good experience but it couldn't be as good as last year. And yet, it was.

The theme was Precious Blood:Christ's Atoning Work, and the main speakers were Richard Phillips, Robert Godfrey (president of Westminster Seminary CA and one of my personal Reformed hero favorites), Joel Beeke (president of Puritan Reformed Seminary), and Derek Thomas (professor, Reformed Theological Seminary).

Messages began Friday evening and continued through Saturday evening. It's a tiring weekend, but it is a time of learning and spiritual growth and blessing. Joel Beeke spoke Friday evening on Necessary Blood, and Saturday began with Dr. Godfrey on Redeeming Blood, then Derek Thomas on Atoning Blood, followed by breakout seminars led by the various speakers, and finally, my favorite, Dr. Godfrey on Offensive Blood.

There are contemporary theologians who would accuse God of "cosmic child abuse," and the speakers in this conference addressed this heresy and instead presented the biblical accounting of this profound doctrine of Christ's great sacrifice on our behalf. The whole conference is full of great thoughts, but the one that most touched me and actually brought me to tears was during Derek Thomas's address on Christ's Atoning Blood. He was describing the nature of Christ's suffering, and while I've heard this explained since I was a child, Thomas cast it in yet another light.

He reminded us of the Aaronic Blessing in Numbers 6:24-26: "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace." Not having grown up in a church that used a liturgy, I love these blessings. Our pastor frequently closes our service with this one. And to understand that this is God's blessing for us, this is reality and not just some wish or prayer uttered by the minister, is deeply meaningful and touching to me. Thomas explained that Christ experienced just the opposite of this blessing on the cross: "The Lord curse you and drive you out; the Lord look away from you and cast His anger upon you, the Lord forsake you." I thought about how horrible it would be to think that this was reality--to hear these words and not the beautiful blessing of Numbers. And I realized that this was what Christ experienced for me.

Of course there were really no light moments, but Dr. Godfrey is always delightful to hear, and his sense of humor makes his messages winsome as well as inspiring. What a great weekend! I look forward to next year's conference when the topic will be justification. In light of the controversy over N.T. Wright and the New Perspectives on Paul, it will no doubt be profound as well.

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Wow Annette, sounds good. I never thought of Jesus experienceing the exact opposite of the Aaronic blessing, but that is what He did. I'm wondering what the controversy is you're talking about at the end. Time for Panerra...

Annette Gysen said...

I think you'd enjoy this conference, Julia. You'll have to keep it in mind for next year. You can probably google the names I mentioned and get an idea of what the controversy is about. I think Christianity Today in the last year had an article about it. And you're right--it is time for Panera. Although life is getting a little crazy. I think May 10 and 24 are my only free Saturdays in May. (So many showers, so little time!)