6/23/08

Come Unto Me

With only eighteen days until the wedding and a little over a week till the move to our new house, the blog postings, if they happen at all, will be a little, well, little. But while this will be brief, it is packed with significance.

Katie, Jonathan, and I have been attending afternoon services at Trinity United Reformed Church, where Henry is a member and where we will all be members after we are married. While it's a sad thing to be leaving our Bethany pastor and friends behind, we are thoroughly enjoying Rev. Vos's (pastor at Trinity)preaching. Jonathan is vacationing with his grandparents this week, so yesterday morning, on a whim (Jonathan doesn't do "whims" well), Katie and I ended up at Trinity. The church was celebrating the Lord's Supper, and both morning and afternoon sermon texts were Matthew 11:28-30: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

During the afternoon sermon, Rev. Vos was making the point that we do nothing to contribute to our salvation, that Christ has accomplished all, so we come to Him, and He gives us rest. This simple, yet profound, quote comes from him.

"Other religions are religions of doing. Christianity is a religion of what has been done."

And that thought alone was reason enough for me to be thankful to have been in God's house yesterday.

3 comments:

The VW's said...

Annette,

Awesome!!! What a wonderful way of expressing christianity! And, how thankful I am to know this and be blessed by this grace!

Alicia

Annette Gysen said...

It sums things up well, doesn't it?

Jewels said...

Wow, that's a great way to think of it!