3/26/09

Heaven on My Mind

I've been thinking a lot about heaven this week--not in a morbid, wish-for-death kind of way, but certainly with a sense of (what I would consider) healthy longing. One special friend's little boy was born with Down syndrome and heart defects, and complications he's suffered since his birth make it questionable how much he will be capable of doing on his own during his life here on earth. I couldn't help but think this week how amazing it will be for his parents--and the parents of other kids like him--to one day eat with him, see him run, talk with him, hear him say, "I love you, Mommy and Daddy"--in heaven. I hope I get to witness one of these scenes.

A co-worker's little son is dying. The little guy has had cancer for a long time (probably going on two years, I'm guessing), and he and his family have fought nobly and hard to find a cure. While many people have been praying for this little boy to be healed here on earth, it looks like our prayers will be answered only in heaven. In heaven, this family will get to see their little guy completely healed.

I was reminded of a book that I edited last year, A Better Country, by Dan Schaeffer. A passage from his book assures me that I'm not selfish for wishing that the first little boy could walk and play with his older brothers and for wishing the second little boy could grow up with his family, go to school, and do all of the things most of us with a natural lifespan get to do. Here's Dan's explanation:

"There is a part of us, an important part, that longs for and dreams of life on earth as it could be. The desire for what we can't have on earth here has led many Christians to feel a bit guilty when they are feeling less than fulfilled in their current status. We are often led to believe that we should be totally fulfilled here on earth, and if we're not, something's wrong with us. We must not be spiritual enough.

"If we are constantly seeking to have more comforts and luxuries and grow envious of those who have more than we do, our lack of contentment is curable. We need a change of heart and mind--and mostly a change of perspective. On the other hand, there is a lingering discontentment (that will ebb and flow over our lifespan) with living in a fallen sinful world that is not only to be expected but is completely understandable and valid. Many Scriptures echo and affirm that these feelings aren't wrong; they are simply the righteous longing for the better country we were designed for. You aren't the only one who has felt them; in fact, you are in very good company . . .

"The desire [for heaven] is real, and nothing else in this life can satisfy it. That is both comforting and invigorating."

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi Annette ...

the whole heaven issue has been on my mind a lot as well lately. Last week Sunday one of my aunts suffered a cerebral aneurysm and passed into glory on the Wednesday. We left behind envy her that glory, but wish still that she could have stayed here on earth with us a bit longer. Its a envious happening, even though we know that when we have run our race and are at our finish line, we'll get the same glorification! something to look forward to!

on a happier earthly note ... Aaron and I finally are able to set a wedding date!! March 17th I had my final VISA Immigration interview and we are going to be married May 29th DV!!

I'm so excited!!! :) How's things going for you?

Take care,
Bren

The VW's said...

WOW! Between what you and this author wrote, and also my reading a book on a similiar subject, it is all coming together and beginning to make sense for this very human mind of mine! I know it will continue to be a struggle while we are still here on earth, but we have the world that we were meant to live in to look forward to some day! What a blessing to know this! Thanks for your insight and support!!!

Jewels said...

I've been thinking about heaven a lot lately too, Annette. Sometimes I'm so tired of my body and the disappointments on earth. I'm just thankful for this time of year when we especially look beyond the brokenness of this world to the only One who truly gives us mercy and completeness.

Penny Green said...

Annette,

Please make sure your friends know about our website, it maybe that we can help them in some small way.

Penny Green
Down's Heart Group
www.dhg.org.uk