6/15/09

Comfort in Tough Times

One of the interesting things about working for a creative organization that publishes both books and music is that I and the other members of our team are often asked to contribute our ideas toward projects that we're not directly involved in. Last week, we were told that Discovery House Music is creating a new music project with the purpose of ministering to people who are going through difficult times. The music team is selecting music and Scripture that have ministered specifically to people in various situations. The interesting question that came to us was if we would share the hymns and Scripture passages that have ministered to us during difficult times in our lives.

So I thought for a while and came up with the following hymns and Scriptures that I have found comforting.

1. One of my favorite hymns that I have found particularly comforting is "Rock of Ages," set to this tune. It's hard to do better than lyrics like these: "Nothing in my hand I bring, Simply to Thy cross I cling; Naked, come to Thee for dress; Helpless, look to Thee for grace; Foul I to the fountain fly; Wash me, Savior, or I die."

2. A second favorite: "Comfort, Comfort Ye My People." How beautiful is this thought: "Speak ye to Jerusalem Of the peace that waits for them; Tell her that her sins I cover, And her warfare now is over."

3. "In Thine arms I rest me; Foes who would molest me Cannot reach me here. Though the earth be shaking, Every heart be quaking, Jesus calms my fear. Fires may flash and thunder crash, Yea, and sin and hell assail me, Jesus will not fail me." "Jesus, Priceless Treasure," Psalter Hymnal, #441.

4. through 6. Contemporary artist Steven Curtis Chapman will never know how blessed I've been by his entire album, Speechless, but three songs from that CD are standouts to me: "Speechless" (the title song), "With Hope," and "Be Still and Know." It is difficult for me not to become teary when he bursts out with the chorus of "Speechless":

And I am speechless I'm astonished and amazed
I am silenced by your wondrous grace
You have saved me
You have raised me from the grave
And I am speechless in your presence now
I'm astounded as I consider how
You have shown us
A love that leaves us speechless


You can hear these songs at Steven's Web site.

It is actually difficult to choose only a few favorite Scripture passages. I'm always reminded of the funeral of the death of a college friend when people talk about the comfort of Scripture. One of our professors, who officiated at the funeral, got up to deliver his address. He looked out at the mourners and calmly said, "Some Scripture for our comfort." For about five minutes he recited--from memory--passage after passage offering comfort and hope. I was amazed then at the power of the Word, and I've never forgotten it.

Here are some of my favorites:

7. Psalm 121: "I lift up my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from?" And it just gets better.

8. Psalm 46: "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble . . . The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress."

9. Romans 8:37-38: "We are more than conquerors through him who loved us . . ."

10. Revelation 21:1-7: "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth . . . He will wipe every tear from their eyes."

So what are some of your favorite songs/hymns/Scripture passages? Leave them in the comments and I'll pass them on to our music department. Maybe you'll be contributing to a CD!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can remember my dad having to lead devotions in council years and years ago - the church was going through something particularly difficult and he was struggling with what to bring to these men. He ended up with Lamentations 3:21ff:

...Yet this I recall to my mind, and therefore have I hope; it is of the Lord's mercy that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning. Great is Thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul, therefore will I hope in Him.

It has remained a constant source of peace in my life from that time.

And you listed a good many of my favorite tunes....I am always moved to tears by the verse from The Church's One Foundation:

Mid toil and tribulation and tumult of her war...she waits the connsumation of peace forevermore. Till with the vision glorious, her longing eyes are blessed, and the great church victorious shall be the church at rest.

Perhaps that's not 'personal' but it's peace-giving when we consider all the in-fighting that seems to happen within the church as well as the battles we have with the world.

I could go on and on and on :-)

Annette Gysen said...

That is a beautiful passage. And that verse makes me cry too. We probably shouldn't ever really sit within eyeshot of each other in church--for so many reasons.