3/22/07

Jerome


This is my lovely daughter, Katie, who is playing the role of Jerome, a little French-Polynesian boy in South Pacific, her school's musical. Normally Katie looks more like an Irish girl--red hair, freckles (especially in the summer), fair skin, and blue eyes. But she's enamored with the stage, and so she will do quite a bit to get into character.

Other factors besides acting and singing ability that may have helped her get this role: She is a little bit height challenged, so it isn't as big a stretch (pun intended) to play a child, and she has had French for almost two years, the language of her character.


So tonight is opening night for Katie and her fellow actors at South Christian High School, and I remember from my own high school musical days that there are few things in life during those years more exciting than opening night, than having worked hard and having some fun on the way, and worrying about that one major character who still didn't have his or her lines down at dress rehearsal . . .


And lest he feel left out, Jonathan, my son, tells me he got a 100 percent on his history test today. So there is much joy and celebration at our house this week!

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Annette- Awesome picture! I love the angle and the expression. Tell her to break a leg or whatever they say. Are you going tonight?

Annette Gysen said...

Thanks, Julia. Of course this is not the picture I took of her; one of her friends took this one. And I did see it Friday night. Everyone did a great job!