3/19/07

Not-So-Great Hymns of the Faith: In the Garden

Today I am beginning a new (possibly weekly) feature on Head and Heart: "Not-So-Great Hymns of the Faith." The title of this feature is derived from the popular hymnal called Great Hymns of the Faith, or, in our congregation, "the red book" (as opposed to "the blue book," The Psalter Hymnal). Caution: This feature is not for the faint of heart. Somewhere along the line, I will probably pick on a hymn that is incredibly meaningful to you for some reason--it was your dad's favorite, it was sung at Grandma's funeral, it was the first one you learned to play on the piano. But we must never let our personal experiences define our worship. We must always look to the One we are worshipping and ask ourselves how He wants us to worship Him--and that may not include that old family favorite.

My main concern is whether the songs that we're singing in church really ought to be part of our service of worship. I'm not suggesting these songs should be banished from the earth; they may have their place in our lives. I actually have a pretty large library of contemporary Christian music, and--true confessions--one of my favorites is Steven Curtis Chapman. But it's one thing to be singing along in the car or as I get ready for work, and it's another thing entirely to be in the presence of God, worshipping Him with His people.

So I go back a few weeks ago to a sermon our pastor preached on Exodus 15, the song of deliverance Moses and Israel sang in praise to God upon being rescued from the Egyptian army. (I would suggest you read the text, and if you're really interested, you can probably download the sermon from the Bethany URC site and listen to it; it was excellent.) This song, inspired by the Holy Spirit, establishes a pattern for the songs we ought to be using in worship. One of the important characteristics is that the song is entirely focused on God and His great work. The only time the pronoun "I" is used is at the beginning, when the singers sing, "I will sing unto the Lord," and briefly later on in the chapter when the singers are quoting the enemy in verse 9. Another of my favorites, Michael Horton, says in A Better Way: Rediscovering the Drama of Christ-Centered Worship: "We do not come to church to affirm our faithfulness, our devotion, our praise, and our up-to-the-minute emotional state but to be addressed, undressed, and re-dressed by God. Only when this fact is central are we in any position to faithfully praise God as 'our reasonable service.'" So if we're going to church to worship God, the songs we sing ought to be about Him.

With all that said, the first not-so-great hymn, In the Garden, is based on the Scripture passage where Mary Magdalene meets Jesus in the garden after His resurrection. Here are verse 1 and the refrain:

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me,
and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

This, to me, would seem to be one of the most un-Reformed hymns we sing in our church. There is a reason it is in the red book and not in the blue Psalter. (Why we even need the red book is another question entirely.) It definitely does not follow the pattern of Exodus 15, with a focus on the almighty, great, and glorious God. The focal point in this song is the first-person "I," a pronoun that occurs (along with "me" and "we") over and over. This song is only loosely based on the account of Mary Magdelene, because there really is no mention in the Scriptures of roses or dew or, as other verses of the song describe, sweet birds hushing their singing, a ringing heart, and His voice of woe calling. (Why would Jesus' voice be woeful? He is the victorious King who has just conquered sin and death and risen from the dead.)

My next question is why would the rest of us be singing a song about Mary Magdalene's personal experience? Again, who are we there to worship? Mary and her experience? The preponderance of the pronoun "I" would lead me to believe that this is Mary's experience somehow translated to me, here in the twenty-first century. Somehow (time travel?) I'm now sharing this with her. So in this case, now I'm singing about myself in a worship service that is supposed to be devoted to God.

So when we're singing these words, what are we saying about ourselves? The sappy sentimentality of the song suggests the individual's mystical encounter with Christ. He walks with me, talks with me, and tells me I am His own. Isn't this counter to the Reformation principle of sola scriptura, that our understanding and knowledge of God is based on the Scriptures alone--not on a pietistical, mystical experience? We're present corporately in the worship service to hear God's Word declared to us by the minister, and yet we're all singing about our private, subjective experiences with Christ.

Whenever this song is selected, I actually have a hard time singing it, because the whole thing is counter to what I'm supposed to be thinking about and focusing on when I'm present in a worship service devoted to the Triune God. But the song's popularity has lasted--somehow--for almost a hundred years. Certainly God is better worshipped with songs like Exodus 15 that talk about His greatness, His power, His triumph over His enemies than with some human's subjective, mystical, and individualistic experience.

We need to think--take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ--about the songs we are singing in worship. If we truly believe that this is our act of reasonable service and gathering to worship is something that we do in faithful obedience to honor our God, then we need to be sure that the songs we are singing will, in fact, honor Him and not simply please our own musical tastes. Songs like Exodus 15 and the entire book of Psalms are God's inspired songs for His people. We have no excuse for not praising Him in the way that He desires to be praised. He has shown us clearly in His Word what pleases Him.

11 comments:

Dave said...

I never did like that song, either. And the line "He walks with me and He talks with me" is the same line in another one that is popular---and that I can't stand. It's the song "He Lives." Some may know it as "I Serve A Risen Savior." The end of the chorus says, "You ask me how I know He lives." The answer? "He lives within my heart." What? Scripture doesn't say this?

But our blue PH has flaws in it also. One is in the song, "Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah." The last lines read, "Bread of heaven, bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more." But who would NOT want more of the Bread of heaven? At Diana's fueral back in 1997, that song was sung in Westminster Cathedral---but with a different last line. Instead, it read, "Feed me now and evermore." This is much better. And it doesn't mess up the tune. But I wish there were more songs dealing with our justification sola fide, for instance. Mayube when this new songbook of the CanRC and URC comes out....

We at Lynwood also have a supplemental hymbook. But we made it opurselves, instead of purchasing a new one. But the thing I hate about it is that instead of being stored in the racks, they are stored in boxes. And my ushers have to be aware of when we are using them, and have to pick them up after the service.

Annette Gysen said...

I have a feeling, Dave, that "He Lives" will be one of the upcoming "Not-So-Great" Hymns of the Faith. And, yes, sometimes I'm surprised at the hymns that have been included in the Psalter. I have great hope for the new songbook! Part of it for me is that I grew up singing so many of these songs that really are not worshipful, so I'm always surprised that people with the richness of a Reformed upbringing crave the very things that I happily left behind. It's difficult for me to understand that.

Dave said...

I do believe that the new hymnal that the Songbook committee (which both Revs van Popta of the CanRC and Lankheet of the URC were on) do include songs regarding our justification by faith alone. I didn't get to read all those articles, however. I'll have to go back and read them again.

This is a great segment, Annette. I'd like to see it as a weekly feature---along with your sermon posting.

Jewels said...

Annette,

I agree with David that this is a good idea to write about these songs! (Then Sings My Soul, Book 1 or 2?) I think you are right in describing what types of songs belong in our worship. There are many songs that I don't like to find myself singing in church but I can't think of them now with American Idol blaring in the background. I still remember where I was when they played Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah at Diana's funeral - do you?

Annette Gysen said...

Julia,

Maybe you, Dave, and I can form a "Randy--Paula--Simon" panel to judge the songs in the Great Hymns of the Faith book. (I get to be Simon.)

And, yes, I do remember where I was--sitting in our family room, sobbing, in our house on 68th Street.

And by the way, I think Lakisha and Haley need to read the posting for 3/20, based on the outfits they're wearing tonight!

Jewels said...

Oh, I am definitely a Paula-type character which means Dave is Randy-Mr-100-word-vocabulary. I must go read your 3/20 post now.

Annette Gysen said...

I was actually seeing you as Paula, Julia. I'm not sure how well Dave can carry off Randy, though :)!

Dave said...

Who's Randy? And Paula? And Simon?

Annette Gysen said...

Oh, Dave, don't worry . . . we'll find someone else to be Randy (lol!). Apparently Randy, Paula, and Simon haven't made it big in Chicago yet :)!

Dave said...

I only know Randy Bachman (of Bachman-Turner Overdrive) and Paula Abdul. The only Simon I can think of is Paul simon! lol :-D

Annette Gysen said...

Dave,

There's this little-known TV show called American Idol--not too many people know about it. In fact, Julia and I may be the only two people in the United States who watch it (lol!) It's an amateur singing competition, and every week Randy, Paula Abdul, and Simon are a panel of judges for the competition.