6/28/07

Loving Summer


Yes--I'm a week late, but summer is officially here, and it's my favorite season of the year. When everyone else is complaining about heat and humidity, I'm smiling inside (and sometimes outside, too, depending on who is complaining), thinking about how lovely it is to not be shivering, scraping snow off my car, and wearing heavy sweaters, bulky coats, and scrambling for gloves.

So I'll limit myself, but these are the ten best things about summer:

1. Going outside, and never stopping to think about whether I need a coat.
2. Eating outside at lunchtime with my favorite coworkers (M., K., J.--you know who you are :)).
3. Going for walks after a Friday night dinner date with my favorite person that I go on Friday night dinner dates with (and you know who you are :)).
4. Sitting on my patio on a summer evening with my favorite person that I go on Friday night dinner dates with, listening to birds, looking at the sky, and talking.
5. Summer clothes--I love wearing sandals, skirts, and short-sleeved shirts and blouses. Winter sweaters feel so bulky, and winter shoes just aren't nearly as fun.
6. Going to the beach and Lake Michigan resort towns, especially Saugatuck--although I haven't made it this year yet, and I know that Saugatuck is the West Michigan hangout for people of strange sexual persuasions, but I just like it there...
7. Vacations, of course.
8. Fixing food on the grill. Everything tastes better prepared on a grill, and I could eat hamburgers several times a week (wait--I do!).
9. Butterflies perched on flowers (I saw that today).
10. And it's not here yet but coming soon--corn on the cob.
11. I know--I said ten, but I couldn't resist posting this picture of one of my cousin's twin boys (don't ask me which one) enjoying summer at our annual family reunion with all that anyone needs--a sippy cup and a bear chair and no shoes. What could be better?

What irony that this summer person makes her home in West Michigan, where summer is the shortest season of them all!

*photo by Kathleen Selden

5 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE IT! My list would look VERY similar except my beach place is Grand Haven. :)

I love the lunches on the patio too. And couldn't ask for better friends to share them with.

Annette Gysen said...

What a team we are, Melissa!!!!!!

Jewels said...

But what about those blizzardy days at Panerra???????

Annette Gysen said...

And you would be my favorite friend to get stranded with at Panera in a blizzard, Julia :)!

Brenda said...

ahhh the lazy, hazy, hanging out days of summer!! I agree with you Annette... they are the best, even with the humidity sometimes!! the Friday nites dinner dates sounds like fun too... wish i could get in more of those... maybe someday soon!! :) hope you're having a great day/week/month ... miss talking with ya... hopefully we can catch up soon!!!

love ya,
Bren