6/4/07

The Test of Love: 1 John 3:11-24

For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another (1 John 3:11).

This passage is concerned with the theme of the nature of love and the assurance of salvation. There are different kinds of love that Christians are to show to others, but this passage is talking specifically about the love that we are to have for one another in the church, for our brothers and sisters in Christ. This is not the same kind of love that we are to have for our neighbors or for our enemies.

John begins with a negative example of what we are not to be one to another. The example he gives in verse 12 is Cain, "who was of the evil one and murdered his brother." Cain, of course, killed Abel, his brother. More than simply telling us the fact that Cain murdered Abel, this passage ascribes motivation to Cain, talking about the nature of Cain's heart. Cain was one who "[hated] his brother . . . a murderer" (v. 15). We are told that the world hates us, and this is what motivated Cain: he killed his brother because "his own deeds were evil and his brother's righteous" (v. 112). Hatred is the opposite of love, and no true Christian can say, "I hate you."

John also provides a positive example of One who loves His brothers: Jesus Christ. Unlike Cain, who took life, Jesus "laid down his life for us" (v. 16). He died so that we might live. Like Him, we should have a love in our hearts for the brothers, laying down our lives for one another. In verse 18, love is connected with truth: we are to love "in deed and in truth."

As we live in love for the brethren, we have assurance: "By this [our love] we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him" (v. 19). The phrase "reassure our heart before him" could be better translated "set our hearts at rest." This is that firm confidence of our salvation. Our love will also result in confidence in prayer (vv. 21-22), where we are assured that what we will ask of Him we will receive because we are obeying His commandments. Those who are living in obedience will receive what they ask for, because they will be praying for those things that are within bounds; their prayers will be rooted in love for God and the brethren.

To pass the test of love, we must ask ourself this question: Do I love the brethren in word, deed, and truth?

5 comments:

Jewels said...

the brethren?

I saw the Dangerous Book for Boys today at B&N - it looks like a winner!

Dave said...

Jewels, I do believe the word "brethren" is used generically. The phrases "one another" and "brothers and sisters in Christ" are also used. the word "brethren" (like the words "man" and "men") are always used (especially in Scripture) to denote the whole human race.

Annette Gysen said...

I don't get too shook up or feel discriminated against with that kind of language, Julia. Guess I'm kind of old-fashioned that way.

I must have that book! I'm going there at lunch . . .

Jewels said...

I was merely mocking your archaic use of language. Let me know how the book is...

Annette Gysen said...

Oh, sorry, Julia--I thought you were mocking my gender-biased language, when you were just mocking my pastor's archaism (it was in my notes that way). I guess I jumped on Dave's bandwagon too quickly :)!

And I didn't make it to B&N at lunch, so I'll have to get it another day. Maybe I'll ask for The Dangerous Book for Boys for my birthday. I really want to know how to make invisible ink from urine.