12/26/07

Happy Birthday, Henry!

Unbelievable--the new man in my life not only has one of those dreaded, close-to-Christmas birthdays, it is the day after my dad's. And I will spend the rest of my life making sure that it isn't forgotten in the Christmas rush. Henry's birthday is definitely a day of celebration. And so here it is--my first birthday tribute to my fiance. (I really love typing that!)

1. His passion for God. One of the first things I knew was true of Henry was his love for God and his faithfulness to Him. We've had great theology conversations, and we've also had very down-to-earth talks about what it has meant for us to live out our faith in our lives. I'm still lobbying to come to his men's- only Bible study on Romans, but I don't think he's going to cave on that one.

2. He's a gentleman. Move over, Mr. Darcy! I have Henry, who, in all of our time together so far, has never failed to open a door for me, who brings me flowers (usually roses) every week, and helps me with my coat. He has always treated me like a lady, which makes me want to always behave like one (a good thing).

3. His musical ability. Early on when Henry and I were dating, a mutual friend told me that Henry had a great tenor voice, and while I knew from our conversations that he loved singing, I never really had an opportunity to hear him sing until last spring when we attended a conference together. I heard this amazing tenor voice during the congregational singing, and I kept turning my head to see if I could figure out where it was coming from. And then I realized--it was coming from Henry, right next to me. And I look forward to a future of singing with him at home, in church, and in choirs. I love it that we share this.

4. His love for simple pleasures. Going for a walk, looking at the moon, sitting by the lake watching ducks, and insects--Henry finds all of God's creation genuinely exciting and fascinating, which makes it exciting and fascinating to be with him.

5. His sense of romance. You'll just have to take my word on this one.

6. His love for Katie and Jonathan. He talks art with Katie, and I think he's using The Dangerous Book for Boys as an outline to bring Jonathan up to speed in "guy activities." He really understands and enjoys kids, and my two have learned this and know that he's a special person.

7. His kindness. Earlier in our relationship, I invited Henry over one Sunday evening. He couldn't come because he was having tea with an older lady in his church. And a couple of weeks ago when church was cancelled on a Sunday morning, he had quite a time helping an elderly lady get a prescription she needed. He can frequently be found visiting his sick friends from church, and he calls to check on them. He changes my light bulbs, shovels my walks, and is probably the nicest person I have ever known.

8. His great sense of humor and his appreciation of sarcasm. It's an essential at our house--sarcasm is just part of the fabric of our home. And here Henry fits right in. And it makes me feel good to know I've said something he finds funny and he laughs. It's a great laugh.

9. His integrity. Every word and action is carefully thought through, so that every word and action is meaningful and can be trusted.

10. He loves me and has asked me to marry him and has given me the most gorgeous engagement ring in the world (see December 24 post).

I am so blessed to have this wonderful man in my life! Happy birthday!

4 comments:

H Gysen said...

Dear Annette--

Thank you for your kind words.

Love,
Henry

Annette Gysen said...

You're very welcome. I mean every one.

Jewels said...

So amazing, Annette. Can't wait to meet him!

Annette Gysen said...

We'll have to do that soon, Julia.