12/7/07

The Quotable Henry

At work, I've been helping edit a new book we'll release early in 2008: The Quotable Chambers. It's a huge book and a huge task, so I've taken a section of the manuscript to work on to help out my managing editor. Chambers, author of My Utmost for His Highest, definitely had a most quotable style, whether you like his theology or not. And his wife, Biddy, devoted herself to transcribing nearly every word the man uttered in his brief 43 years, so there's a lot of material to work with.

And yet my favorite person to quote these days is . . . Henry. While I haven't compiled enough to produce a book yet, it may be coming someday. But in the meantime, I'll have to share his witty, insightful one-liners as he allows me here on this little blog.

Some context: I was commenting on the irony that even though the "children of the sixties" see themselves as nonconformists and take a little pride in that, they usually, in the end, fall right into line. They support women's rights, hate any kind of rules, and like to see themselves as social activists, for example.I'll let you, dear reader, ponder that.

Henry's response: Sixties nonconformity, like teenage fashions, has woodenly predictable patterns.

Stay tuned for the Henry perpetual calendar and desk planner . . .

7 comments:

Jewels said...

He sounds like someone I know.

Annette Gysen said...

And who would that be?

Jewels said...

Sorry to be so mysterious Annette. I was thinking it sounded like John when he so wisely comments on society.

Annette Gysen said...

We'll have to get the two of them together sometime. We can have a "sarcasm-off."

Jewels said...

Sounds very interesting. Yes we shall.

allofgrace said...

The irony of it all...even the non-conformist likes to identify with his/her favorite, famous (or infamous) non-conformist, and so conforms to the non-conformity of their time...try saying that 10 times really fast ;) Just as the atheist continues to rage against the God he claims doesn't exist, the non-conformist continues in his own exercise in futility. We humans are some funny creatures, no?

Annette Gysen said...

Ironies are interesting things, aren't they, Jimmy?