5/20/07

Chosen unto Communion

Canons of Dort, Head 1, Article 7: Election

Election [or choosing] is God's unchangeable purpose by which he did the following:

Before the foundation of the world, by sheer grace, according to the free good pleasure of his will, he chose in Christ to salvation a definite number of particular people out of the entire human race, which had fallen by its own fault from its original innocence into sin and ruin. Those chosen were neither better nor more deserving than the others, but lay with them in the common misery. He did this in Christ, whom he also appointed from eternity to be the mediator, the head of all those chosen, and the foundation of their salvation. And so he decided to give the chosen ones to Christ to be saved, and to call and draw them effectively into Christ's fellowship through his Word and Spirit. In other words, he decided to grant them true faith in Christ, to justify them, to sanctify them, and finally, after powerfully preserving them in the fellowship of his Son, to glorify them.

God did all this in order to demonstrate his mercy, to the praise of the riches of his glorious grace.

As Scripture says, God chose us in Christ, before the foundation of the world, so that we should be holy and blameless before him with love; he predestined us whom he adopted as his children through Jesus Christ, in himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, by which he freely made us pleasing to himself in his beloved (Eph. 1:4-6). And elsewhere, Those whom he predestined, he also called; and those whom he called, he also justified; and those whom he justified, he also glorified (Rom. 8:30).


This past week our pastor conducted a funeral, preached on Thursday evening for Ascension Day, and preached again this morning, so this afternoon he was given a well-deserved break, and one of our associate pastors preached. This morning we celebrated the Lord's Supper, and the sermon text was from Ephesians 1:1-14, as well as Canons of Dort, Head 1, Article 7.

This article provides what is probably the fullest definition of election in the Canons. From the Scripture text and this article, we learn that God's elect have been chosen for communion. The word communion suggests a fellowship of groups coming together, in this case, God's people and God.

God's people have been chosen to communion by God the Father (v. 4). God desired a people to commune with, to love and be loved by. To elect means to call from out of, and here Paul speaks to the truly elect; he tells the elect that they are holy, saints. God chose us before the foundation of the world, and His purposes for us are that we should be holy and without blame before Him "to the praise of His glorious grace."

We have been chosen in Christ, and it is only in Christ that we can be holy and without blame; we are, of course, dependent on Him. Verse 7 describes the riches of His grace, those benefits that we have been graced (translated "made us accepted" in the NKJV) with in the Beloved (v. 6). The word that is used here for "made us accepted" carries much more meaning than simply acceptance. It is a word used only one other time in the New Testament in Luke 1:28, where Gabriel tells Mary that she is highly favored--as are we all.

Ultimately the elect have been chosen for communion with God through obedience. Because of all the benefits that we experience, described in Ephesians 1, we will become imitators of Christ. Those who have been justified will practice and seek righteousness. Verse 4 tells us that we are before Him in love, and this is a reference to the love we have for God. The phrase "in love" is commonly used today, and often just as quickly as one claims to fall in love, he or she frequently falls out of love. However, when we are elected in love, we will never be divorced from love. When God calls us, we are in love with God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit. We should only come to the Lord's table if we are in love with Jesus Christ. And we come to love him as a child loves a father, or, as depicted in the book of Revelation, as a bride loves her husband. And the purpose of all of this is "that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory" (v. 12).

Our song of response was truly a great hymn of the faith:

Jesus, priceless treasure,
Source of purest pleasure,
Truest Friend to me:
Ah, how long I've panted
And my heart has fainted,
Thirsting, Lord, for Thee.
Thine I am, O spotless Lamb!
I will suffer naught to hide Thee,
Naught I ask beside Thee.

In Thine arms I rest me;
Foes who would molest me
Cannot reach me here.
Though the earth be shaking,
Every heart be quaking,
Jesus calms my fear.
Fires may flash and thunder crash,
Yea, and sin and hell assail me,
Jesus will not fail me.

Hence with earthly treasure!
Thou art all my pleasure,
Jesus, all my choice.
Hence, thou empty glory!
Naught to me thy story,
Told with tempting voice,
Pain or loss or shame or cross
Shall not from my Savior move me,
Since He deigns to love me.

Fare thee well that errest.
Thou that earth preferrest,
Thou wilt tempt in vain.
Fare thee well, transgression!
Hence, abhorred possession!
Come not forth again.
Past your hour, O pride and power!
Worldly life, thy bonds I sever;
Fare thee well forever!

Hence, all fear and sadness!
For the Lord of gladness,
Jesus, enters in.
Those who love the Father,
Though the storms may gather,
Still have peace within.
Yea, whate'er I here must bear,
Thou art still my purest pleasure,
Jesus, priceless treasure.


~Johann Franck, 1653

20 comments:

Jewels said...

Annette,

Nice description of election. And I love the hymn. But verse 3 says, "Jesus, all my choice"? This doesn't seem to go together.

Annette Gysen said...

I can't speak for the songwriter here, but I think that he's not speaking in terms of choosing Christ in salvation, but rather in terms of Jesus being his choice for satisfaction and contentment (his treasure)rather than earthly, material pleasures. What do you think, Dave?

Jewels said...

But he says ALL MY CHOICE! Do we know who the songwriter is?

Annette Gysen said...

I'm still going to stand by my interpretation, Julia, but I'll ask my pastor about it and get back to you. Or . . . if any ministers out there reading this (you know who you are :)) want to offer an explanation, we'd be most grateful!

Dave said...

She posted who the songwriter was, Jewels.

Dave said...

Hmmm. I'm going to have to think about that one, Annette. I am going to ask a couple of ministers I know about this as well. If I get any responses, I'll post them here.

Jewels said...

I did realize that later, Dave after I left the screen, but oh well. Nothing I could do about it then...

Annette Gysen said...

Who would have dreamed this could stir so much controversy? The bottom line, Julia, is that this hymn is in the blue Psalter Hymnal, and there are absolutely NO theological errors in the blue Psalter Hymnal.

Jewels said...

Annette, I think this one got by them! A choice is a choice. I suppose you could argue that you are choosing to find your contentment in the one who gives you salvation, but it is unclear, and why wouldn't you find your contentment in what gives you life? If you're not content, then maybe you're not elected.

I'm in way over my head.

Annette Gysen said...

This is an argument completely from experience, so it really isn't an argument at all, but I know that in my own life, while I did not choose Christ in salvation (He, of course, chose me), there have been times because of my sinful attitudes that I have sought to find satisfaction in something other than the comfort of that salvation (cf. Psalm 73). Asaph does the same thing in Psalm 73. He is a believer, but for a while he chooses to envy the wicked. But when I do choose to understand that I have nothing in heaven but God, as Asaph eventually does, I'm much happier because I'm understanding rightfully the source of my comfort and satisfaction. I really hope Dave had a chance to speak to a minister today :)! Where are they when you need them?

Jewels said...

I think you're probably right, Annette, but what was Joseph Franck thinking? The words "all my choice" sound so absolute.

Annette Gysen said...

Since he's dead, we probably can't quite know for sure, but we can put it on our list of questions to ask when we get to heaven ;)! (I'm assuming he's there, of course.)

Dave said...

I received a reply from a URC minister I know. The following is his response to the question. I'm waiting for a response yet from another URC minister.

Dave


My brief response, Dave, is that the song probably
would be *best* suited to
a sermon on bearing one's cross or forsaking the
world.

However, other considerations often factor in when a
pastor is choosing
songs and arranging a liturgy. For instance, has the
"perfect" song just
recently been sung? Was he hoping to emphasize
(perhaps even expressly,
through comments to introduce the hymn) a different
element? What were the
ways in which he applied the doctrine explained in the
sermon?

Without knowing those things, at least, it's hard to
say whether this was an
appropriate song for the sermon or not. Would I have
chosen it for a sermon
on that text? ... probably not. But I wasn't preaching
it. (grin) And Rev.
Freswick may well have been intending to make
applications in his sermon for
which this song would be the perfect response.

In fact, it's possible that he simply made a mistake
in selecting the song.
I've had a couple of those times myself, recognizing
while singing the song
that it was the wrong choice. Whaddaya do? Preachers
are human that way.
BUT, otoh, it may simply be that he selected the
perfect song, and we don't
have enough information to see just why that is.

All of which is a really long-winded way of saying
that, not having written,
read or heard the sermon, and not having seen the full
liturgy, I'm not in a
position to say whether it was the right song or not.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, Dave. See you at
classis ... ?

Annette Gysen said...

No way, Dave! Pastor Freswick, like the blue Psalter Hymnal, is nearly incapable of theological error. And I'm not sure this minister is really answering the question. Pastor Freswick appeared to be quite moved at the finish of this song and followed it with an "amen."

Seriously, I think this was an incredibly good choice for a song for Lord's Supper, and I think my explanation for the line in the song is probably correct.

Jewels said...

Correct, but shaky!

Dave said...

Not without theological error? Ohhhh, I wouldn't go there. I love the blue PH, but there are errors in some of the songs. Take, for instance, Now Thank We All Our God. I dearly love this song, but there is a line in the 2nd stanza that shouldn't be there. It goes, "and free us from all ills in this world and the next." Well, what ills will be in "the next world" for the Christian? It should more correctly read "From this world to the next."

Or look at "Take Time to be Holy." Just the title shows one that this is incorrect. We don't "take time" to be holy---we are to be holy at ALL times.

As I've said previously in replies to other posts, there are no songs in our PH dealing with justification sola fide. Also, the PH is very weak on songs regarding the Holy Spirit. and even the 310 metric versions of the Psalms in the PH aren't perfect, either.

I love the blue PH (and the red PH before that, though I have not much experience with that one). However, it is not without its faults.

Dave said...

Christian Renewal just did a series on a Common Songbook, which I am still reading. They not only will be putting that in pamphlet form, but also a link to this series will be available. I highly recommend reading this.

Annette Gysen said...

Sarcasm, Dave (the theological error stuff--although I do have a great deal of confidence in Pastor Freswick). Anyway, I'm adopting this hymn as one of my new favorites. I'd never paid much attention to it before, but I was quite moved by it last Sunday in light of the sermon content and the Lord's Supper.

I don't think the third verse reference has to do with choice in salvation. Taken in context, I think my interpretation is probably correct. And I'm not sure what the discussion over the appropriateness of the hymn was about, but it was an excellent choice for that service.

You people can talk amongst yourselves if you like. I'm satisfied with my own explanation.

Dave said...

Well, I think the appropriateness comment had to do with the fact that Rev Barnes (the one I asked) didn't know what other songs Rev Freswick chose, because he wasn't there nor heard a tape of the entire service. there are ministers out there (no matter what denomination) that will chhose songs just because they like them, and they have nothing to do with the sermon.

One time, when I was a member of the CRC 2 blocks from where I live, the minister chose to start the morning service with "This is My Father's World." This was his reason---he thought it would be a beuatiful morning according to the weather reports, so that's why he chose it. And it turned out to be a cloudy day. He still used the song. Oh good grief! what a reason to choose a song! I even made that comment to my friend and his dad, and they very much agreed.

Dave said...

btw, Annette---Walker URC has a summer intern from MARS. His nae is Andrew Eenigenburg, and is very good. If you get a chance to go hear him, do it.