5/24/07

Writer's Block

Here I am, with a rare opportunity to use the computer without having to fight the teenagers at my house for it, and I'm finding myself without much to say. And why haven't I been finding much to write about lately or diving for the computer the second previously mentioned teenagers leave to go to the bathroom or take a phone call?

Here are some possible reasons:

1. It's the end-of-the-school-year rush, which has many implications for unbloggish activity. One of the things this wrap-up brings are seemingly endless, lengthy band concerts, choir concerts, piano recitals, guitar recitals, etc. So I don't have much time in the evenings to blog. A second reason this results in decreased blogtime is that the older teenager, a fairly conscientious student who is deep in high school coursework, has had numerous papers to write for her classes in Shakespeare, composition, and even biology. So once she finishes using the computer for homework, it seems only fair that second teenager should have a shot at it. And by that time . . .

2. True confessions: It's been season finale time for some of my favorite TV shows. How could I think of foregoing American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, or my all-time favorite--Lost--to blog? Just be thankful I'm not blogging about them, because I could go on for a very long time about my depression over Melinda's not making the final two, how frustrated I am that the crowd begins booing every time Simon opens his mouth, and how sick I am of seeing Jordin waving her fingers in the air to indicate which phone numbers are hers (Take a "cool" lesson from Blake, girl! He wouldn't be caught dead waving his fingers around!). And don't get me started on how disappointed I am at Locke's "resurrection" from the dead, how happy I was to see Jack beat Ben to a bloody pulp, how sad I am that Charlie is no more, how amazing it was to see Hurley burst out of the jungle and run over the Others with his Dharma mobile, and how much I enjoy Juliet's penchant for sarcastic comebacks. Oh, right--I wasn't going to blog about this.

3. There is actually a noble reason, believe it or not. I've accepted an opportunity from Reformed Fellowship to copyedit a new book that they'll be releasing whenever I get it copyedited--no pressure there. Did I mention that the book is about six hundred pages? It is entitled With Heart and Mouth , and it is a commentary on the Belgic Confession by Rev. Daniel Hyde of Oceanside, California. So whatever computer time I have in an evening has been taken up with copyediting these days--and probably for quite a few days to come.

4. I've been diligently editing away on two major projects at work, which drains me of all language-related energy by the time I'm home. All my creativity has been spent by 5:00 these days. But they should both be finished soon, and work life will resume its more even pace, leaving me with some creative energy once I get home.

5. It's feeling like summer these days, and who wants to blog in the summer. And yet I shall . . .

6 comments:

Danny Hyde said...

ya know how those ministers can be with their verbosity!

dh

Jewels said...

How does she do it?

Annette Gysen said...

Yes, Danny, I know about that. I just spent an hour trying to sort it out :)!

Annette Gysen said...

Watch so much TV, Julia? It's a challenge, but I'm able to squeeze it in.

Dave said...

Dr PY De Jong also had written a commentary on the BC titled "The Church's Witness to the World," which was a 2-volume work. Including indeces, it is 749 pages long. I am anxious for Rev Hyde's work to be out.

Dave said...

Boy, I'm glad she didn't blog about American Idol! :-D