2/3/07

The Blizzard of '07

It's a rare occurrence, but the weather forecasters predicted with accuracy the Blizzard of '07. Determined that weather panic would not disrupt my life, I awoke with plans of meeting my friend Julia for breakfast. We consulted with each other briefly about a half hour before we were to meet, and hearty Ohio-transplanted-to-Michigan girls that we are, we decided that a little snow was not to interfere.

So there we were at Panera, enjoying our lovely egg souffles and coffee, catching up on our children, our work, life in general, reminiscing about the good old days when we worked together at our local Christian bookseller's (that's how Julia and I met), and just having a nice time, when I happened to glance out the window. I suddenly realized that I could no longer see the main road from my seat in the restaurant because the blizzard had come! For a moment Julia and I both paused to think that Panera would not be the worst place to be stranded--it features a fireplace, comfy chairs, and obviously plenty of good food--but reality hit and we realized we had to go home to our families. Why? Because we Ohio women will not allow a little nasty weather to keep us from our homesteads and our young 'uns.

So today I am very thankful for coats, hats, gloves, boots, warm houses, furnaces, blankets, and all things that protect us from the driving cold of blizzards and icy winds. And I'm also thankful for the courage and creativity of Katie, who withstood the elements to capture these pictures.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you guys to get out in the weather anyway! I took Dallas & her cousin Elizabeth to Uno's for lunch & then went to Celebration South, only to find out that they were closing in 15 minutes. So we decided to try Cinemark at the mall and if they were closed also, then we would go find dessert somewhere. :)

The theatre was open & we saw "Night At the Museum" and LOVED IT!

A little snow never stopped us either! Maybe Monday will be a snow day for us ... yeah right!

Jewels said...

Wonderful write up on the breakfast adventure, Annette. Where are those ducks on the creek. I NEED to take pictures there!!!

Annette Gysen said...

Julia~

She was over behind Hoosemas' house and across the street from there!

I hope your boys made it home!

Annette Gysen said...

Melissa~

Sounds like a fun day! We liked that movie a lot too! And since I'm going to be stuck here tomorrow with two kids, I have mixed feelings about Monday :)!

Dave said...

Those are great pictures! Shows one the beauty of God's creation, doesn't it!

Dave

Annette Gysen said...

Thanks, Dave. I'll pass along your compliments to my daughter.

Dave said...

That is an incredible picture of the car and evergreen. I once walked to a high school basketball game when the temperature was -26 at night! And that's just the surface temp! When I was coming home that night, a cop stopped me about halfway home, and gave me a ride the rest of the way. It was kinda fun to walk in that cold. (This was about 3 years after I graduated, and was the Christian HS I went to). BTW--we lost the game.

Dave