2/6/07

Thoughts on Internet Dating

A recent poll by The Single Connection, Christianity Today's on-line singles newsletter, asked the question, "What are your thoughts on Internet dating?" Most responded that they were neutral, but there were those who have tried it and loved it (obviously those who have met the loves of their lives and married), and those who have tried it and hated it (obviously those who have either hoped to meet someone and haven't met with success or those who have had broken relationships that were formed via the Internet).

I confess: I have Internet dated. Obviously, however, my attempts to find a lasting relationship through the Internet have failed. But is it because there is something inherently wrong with Internet dating? Or was there something else that brought about the failure of my e-relationship?

Although I would never have wished it, I have nearly eight years of grown-up, post-marriage dating experience--most of it not that great. I have ended up on dates through a variety of means: well-meaning acquaintances, yes--the Internet, and even an insurance man who was impressed with me and hooked me up with his brother. Most recently, even my pastor has played matchmaker, and in all honesty, his handiwork has resulted in the most positive, happy dating relationship I have ever experienced.

But back to the Internet: Can it work? Can true love be found on the Net? Like any vehicle for meeting other singles, the Internet is just that--a vehicle. It can be used responsibly for meeting people or it can be used irresponsibly. It isn't the fault of the Internet itself that a relationship succeeds or fails any more than it's the fault of a well-meaning insurance salesman that his brother and I didn't make a love connection. This may be a little old-fashioned of me, but whether a relationship rises or falls depends on the people involved, regardless of how they meet.

So here are tips on Internet dating. They have come at a high price--my own experience, but you may have them for free:

*Join a Web site where you are likely to find someone who shares your values. Currently I am a member of Sovereign Grace Singles (although my profile states clearly that I'm interested only in friendship right now--and I've found this particular site to be valuable for making both male and female friends), which is not only a Web site for Christians, but a Web site for Calvinistic Christians. If you are a Reformed single, the likelihood that you will meet someone who shares your theology is greater on such a site.

*Establish boundaries before you ever place a profile on a site, and do not compromise them, no matter how attractive a prospect might appear. For instance, I decided long ago that I was unable to relocate, not because I love Grand Rapids so much, but because I have two children who call GR home. So at this point in my life it would make no sense to involve myself with someone who lives in Australia or Alaska. More seriously, set your theological boundaries; do not involve yourself with a person who would require you to compromise them for him or her.

*Move slowly and cautiously--just as you would with a person who lived nearby. Because people who meet on the Internet sometimes live at a distance from one another, there seems to be a greater sense of urgency in Internet dating. When it's only possible to be physically with a person in whom you have an interest on long weekends every couple of months, the temptation is to speed things along so you can be together; for committed Christians, this means marriage. Marriage is not the solution to being apart and wanting to spend time together. Finding a way to spend time together is the answer to wanting to spend time together. I have no sage advice on how to accomplish this, but marriage is permanent, not to be taken lightly. Exercise self-discipline and take the time to make sure you are making a good choice.

*Do not view Internet dating as your last, best hope. It does seem like those who do Internet date view this method of dating as less than ideal. (And since I'm currently enjoying a "local" relationship, I'd have to say I prefer it.) But if you embark upon Internet dating thinking that it's do or die, you probably will be willing to ignore the previous three suggestions, which could result in relational disaster. Simply view an Internet dating site as another avenue for meeting other singles, one more way of "getting out there" where there may be a potential spouse--or not.

*Be completely honest about yourself--what you look like, what you do for a living, past failures, future hopes. It is easier to be less than truthful on the Internet, but what is the point? If someone finds you interesting and has any sense at all, he or she, in the process of getting to know you, will eventually discover the truth. And when that person does, he or she will be angry and hurt, and you will be disappointed. When the time is appropriate, put it out on the table so that the person can come to know you.

More on this another time. Eight years of experience results in a lot of thoughts!

15 comments:

Yesfan said...

Hi Annette. I so agree with what you said here. That is especially true about the speed of relationships on the internet. I will never understand why people think they have to get married at the 2nd drop of a hat. You made some excellent points on this. I'll try to comment more later.

Dave

Annette Gysen said...

Thanks, Dave. Any other thoughts on why people seem to be in such a hurry? I do think that part of it is that people embark upon it with a sense of desperation--not a good motive for seeking marriage. What else do you think factors in?

Dave said...

Well, I've seen some people say that they're afraid of "being lonely" the rest of their life. And I think they base that on en 2:18, and thinking this means it's not good for man to be single. But marriage is not the only cure for loneliness. I have said this before, and I'll say it again: It is not singleness that is the problem, it's aloneness. What God created by creating Eve was a help-meet. This does NOT necessarily mean a marriage partner. It definitely means companionship. And this companionship also takes the form of friendships. We were to have communion with each other. Marriage is not the only way to achieve this.

Some also rush things because "all their friends are married." IOW--peer pressure. Not a good reason, either. If they start dating and don't care about the other persons doctrine, then they are headed for trouble. Is justification, or the covenant (of works and of grace), or baptism (and the sacraments in particular) important? You bet it is! In fact, justification is "the doctrine on which the church stands or falls" (Luther), and "the hinge on which religion turns" (Calvin, Institutes, Book III, Chapter 11---I think).

These are some of the things I was going to expand on whith your points.

Dave

Dave said...

Something else, too---and I'm not sure if this goes to your question or not. I think it may go to your entire post in general. But some decide to hook up because of how much they have in common. Again, I ask---what of your common doctrine? Is there commonality there or not? This is what is most important. All other "common interests" take a back seat. Amos 3:3 says, "How can 2 walk together except they be agreed?" Walking together does NOT solely mean Christians. For instance, I adhere to our Three Forms of Unity (Heidelberg Catechism, Belgic Confession, Canons of Dort)---in its entirety! Same with the Westminster Standards. If I were to date someone, then she MUST be the same way, first and foremost. All else are secondary. If not, then Amos 3:3 cannot come into play. This is the same regarding Exodus 2:1 and Mark 4:25 (A house divided against itself cannot stand). If they have different doctrines, then they cannot walk together. There will be trouble later on. It's always best to discuss this BEFORE things get too involved.

That's my $2.00 I adjusted for inflation! lol

Dave

Ps---The verse I wanted to use in the previous comment I made was Genesis 2:18.

Jewels said...

Annette- You are hilarious. e-relationship?

I love the way you are thinking about your dating life as a 40-something year old. You certainly have learned a lot and you have offered some great advice.

Annette Gysen said...

Thanks, Dave. I'm sure we've only scratched the surface of all the issues to think about. And the more I think about it, the same principles that apply to Internet dating apply to any type of dating. Now if only some other singles will read this...

Annette Gysen said...

Yes, Julia~I have e-friends and, in the past, even an e-boyfriend. And they're okay, but I think I prefer the non-e variety :)! And friends who fit both categories are really awesome!

And this is exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up: A forty-something who gives dating advice based on her own experiences (lol)!

allofgrace said...

Don't even get me started :/

Dave said...

I quite agree, Annette. The same rules do apply to both sides of the coin. Something else occured to me also while at work tonight. Would you think that some rush things because of their distance and not running the risk of losing each other in the process? Also---some I think rush because they finally found someone and are willing to be with them---no matter if they share the same faith or not. Do they think they won't find anyone else, especially if their faith isn't the same? And is that a reason to keep on seeing someone? So, which is better---being married to the wrong person, or not being married at all? That answer is quite obvious.

I also agree with you that other singles should be seeing this. Even most married people, also.

Dave

Dave said...

Pssst, Julia---I'm one of Annette's e-friends! lol

Dave

Annette Gysen said...

And I love my e-friends and "hard copy" friends all the same!

Annette Gysen said...

Probably best that you not get started on this one, Jimmy :).

Dave said...

Here's a tip that may coincide with one of yours, Annette. Of course, there should be several face-to-face meetings. But before any engagement, one party should move to the other's location and live in that area for a period of AT LEAST 9 months. This way, they get to see how the other lives, views each others habitats, etc. Emails and phone conversations just don't cut it.

Annette Gysen said...

I completely agree with your last comment, Dave. That's why I said that the answer to wanting to be together is not marriage--it's finding a way to be together. And I wouldn't want to lay down any hard and fast rules about how to accomplish that, but simple common sense should dictate that.

Dave said...

The first point you make here is very good, Annette. I have often heard from the pulpit that marriage or even dating is NOT a mission field. And they were right. But if 2 do NOT share the same theology, then dating is no place to try and "convert" the other. That had best happen WAY before dating even starts.