1/22/08

For Julia, or How Dutch of Me



As busy working mothers, Julia and I find it difficult to line up our calendars so that we can get together. But when it finally works out, it's always a good--and long--time. We met for breakfast at Panera, but the lunch crowd was lining up when we finally dragged ourselves away. What could be so exciting, you wonder? Conversations like this one:

Annette: I'm really going to have to get going. I still have a lot to do today. I'm having company over tomorrow night, and I need to get groceries.
Julia: (remembering that Annette has a fairly strict view of the Sabbath) Oh, you can't just go out and get pizza, can you? What are you going to have?
Annette: I'm just going to make some soup and throw some bread, lunch meat, and cheese on the table. Just keeping it easy.
Julia: How Dutch of you, Annette! What kind of soup? Take pictures of it and blog about it. Post the recipe!

You can easily see how time can get away from two friends conversing about such riveting topics. In fact, it was probably another hour or so after this slice of conversation that I actually did go to the grocery store and get the ingredients for Italian sausage soup. And as Julia requested, here is the recipe.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. Italian sausage
1 clove garlic, minced
1 chopped onion
2 (14 oz.) cans of beef broth (I added 1 to 2 cups of chicken broth as well)
1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
1 (14.5 oz.)can great Northern beans, undrained
1 zucchini, cubed
1 pkg. frozen spinach
1/2 cup raw orzo noodles
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
(I also added some Italian seasoning.)
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown sausage with garlic and onion. Stir in broth, tomatoes, carrots, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.

2. Stir in beans with liquid, zucchini, spinach, and orzo noodles. Cover and simmer another 15 minutes or until zucchini is tender and noodles are cooked.

Or make it really easy like I do. Brown meat, onions, and garlic. Throw it into a crockpot with everything else. Cook on low heat for several hours until it is hot, of course (5 will do).

And I must truly be Dutch, since this observation came from one whose last name is immediately recognizably Dutch, she graduated from Calvin, married a Calvin grad who now works for Calvin, was president of her children's Christian school mothers' club, lives in the heart of Cutlerville, and has a regular feature on her blog entitled "Netherlands Nuesday."

And now I'm looking for a good recipe for split pea soup. . .

5 comments:

Jewels said...

Hey, I do not live in the heart of Cutlerville! This post is hilarious - I might just have to link to it. Oh, and I'll try the soup.

Ask Henry if he wants me to teach you to make boerenkoel stamppot or mouse. I'm not a fan of the pea soup though.

Annette Gysen said...

Henry said that we will definitey have to have the stamppot, so whenever you're ready. And we can make boeterkoek for dessert! Then we can work on our Creative Memory books or sew a quilt. That would be a good time!

Jewels said...

Ok, we can do the stamppott, but you're joking about the rest, right?

Aaron Kulbe said...

Way to show her!! I miss talking to you, Annette. This "couples" thing has got you almost permanently out of pocket.

I am in Buffalo, NY right now, visiting Brenda for her birthday... and... well... I really love her a lot you know... I guess that "couples" thing has me too... if she were here, I guess people would be saying the same things to me.

Both of us REALLY want to meet Henry. I'd be satisfied if I even got to meet just you.

Oh well, all in good time. :)

Annette Gysen said...

Julia--The rest is definitely a joke!

Aaron--I'm glad you two are together in New York! Good gift for Brenda! And I hope that soon you find out just how far out of the loop you get when the couples thing takes over. Throw a couple of teenagers into the picture, and you often don't know which end is up. But I miss talking to you too. And it would be great to meet you in real life. One of these days . . .
We'll talk soon. Have fun and keep warm!