1/22/08

Visiting Widows in Their Trouble

It's been interesting, transitioning from singleness to "coupleness." Henry and I have had opportunity to attend several couples' events together now, and I have to say that I definitely enjoy going as a couple more than as a single. While I had finally come to terms with my calling to be single in God's providence, I always hoped that I would be called to marriage someday.

And now I feel an even greater responsibility to be an encouragement to those who find themselves alone, whatever the circumstances that have brought a brother or sister to this singleness. I find myself praying, "Don't let me forget, God, what it was like to be a single in the church." It can be very lonely, this being a single adult in the church. And yet in the church, we're called to be brothers and sisters to all, to fellowship with all, even though it can be a challenge at times knowing just how to do that.

And so I especially appreciate a couple of articles this week in Christianity Today written by Miriam Neff. She beautifully and honestly describes some of the difficulties that widows face with the new life circumstances they find themselves in here.

Be sure to read her second article that gives suggestions about what to say and not to say to be an encouragement. Several of her suggestions apply to those who are undergoing various types of trials.

No comments: