1/27/08

Happy Birthday, Little Blog





Today marks one year since that fateful Saturday morning when I decided to see just how easy or difficult it was to enter the blogosphere. Obviously, since millions of people are doing it, it really isn't that hard. The difficulty after entering is staying, as I've found. But the past year has been an eventful one, with this little blog being one of the events. So in what has now become "Head and Heart" tradition, here are ten things I love about this little blog.

1. It is always here for me--day or night. Whenever I'm ready, my blog is ready for me.

2. It never complains about being neglected. And there have been many different stretches in the past year when my little blog has been neglected.

3. It doesn't ask, "What's for dinner?" or "Can you take me over to . . .?" or "Can I have $10.00 for . . .?" In fact, it asks nothing of me.

4. It has forced me into more disciplined thought patterns. Because one of my earliest features was a summary of Sunday sermons, I now always take notes and retain much more from my pastor's sermons than in the past. Every conversation, every news article, every life event becomes potential "blog fodder."

5. Journaling isn't for me because--quite frankly--I like an audience. Blogging allows me to write creatively and then hear from a few people.

6. In this busy lifestyle I live, it allows me to communicate with the people in my life, if they want to know what I'm up to. (Even my mom tells me she reads to "keep up on what's going on.")

7. It's forced me to improve my computer skills.

8. It's forced me to learn to communicate issues that are important to me in a tactful (let's hope) way.

9. It's been a means of finding a long-lost college friend.

10. Perhaps it served its greatest purpose back in December as a showcase for my engagement ring.

From what I read, blogs tend not to live very long, and with the events of the coming year, I can't guarantee that this one will enjoy a second birthday. But for now, my happy little blog plods along--certainly longer than I expected. Happy birthday to you!

4 comments:

The VW's said...

Annette,

I recently realized that if you click on the name of the person (highlighted in blue) that left me a comment on my blog, then you are directed to their blog! I guess I'm a little slow at times, but I'm glad to have found your blog! You are a talented writer and have great, informative updates!

Happy Birthday to you and your blog! Also, Congratulations on your engagement! I don't think I've talked to you at church since then, but I've been meaning to let you know how happy I am for you!

Thankyou also for the incredible support that you've been to our family! I can't tell you how much it has meant to us! God has blessed you with a very caring heart!

Please tell your niece that I'll add her family to my prayers! I can't imagine going through what they have! I do know that the stories that I've read, like theirs, has touched me deeply and made me realize even more how blessed I am!

Love, Alicia

allofgrace said...

Annette,
Congrats on your blog's birthday. And to think not long ago you were thinking of giving it up. You should write a book some day. Blessings to you and yours...and your blog :)
Jimmy

Jewels said...

Annette- Yay for you!!! I'm so happy you've been sticking it out with this blog because it's a great way for me to keep in touch with you. I hope you don't give it up - oh, the tales you can tell...

Annette Gysen said...

Alicia,

Thanks for all of your kind words! The blogosphere is definitely a healthy place for some of us to get it out and communicate with each other. You might want to check out a posting called "Waiting" that you inspired last winter. (I don't remember the date.)

Jimmy,
Thank you! I hope everything is going well for you in your educational pursuits. And I do think I would like to write a book someday--I'm just not sure about what right now.

Julia,
You've been one of my biggest inspirations! It has been so fun communicating with you like this! And the stories are only going to get better . . .